There are several health issues are found in babies under one year. I this article you will find all the information related to all problems.
Cow’s milk protein intolerance: It is not an allergy. It is the inability to digest protein from cow’s milk. Cause are not known, but the problem usually appears between one week and several months after a baby starts cow’s milk.
Symptoms: Vomiting or diarrhoea which occurs soon after introducing the cow’s milk in the diet.
General care: After 2 weeks a trial amount of cow’s milk is offered under medical supervision if the symptoms recur, the diagnosis is confirmed. The cow’s milk trial will be repeated every three months, until the baby no longer has an adverse reaction to the protein, Change the amount of milk gradually. Generally, by the age of 3, the intolerance to cow’s milk problem disappear. But if this will not happen, then take proper advice from Doctor.
This is the intolerance for babies about the sugar which is found in the milk. It is not an allergy.
Cause: It is caused by an inability to break down the lactose in the small intestine, because of deficiency of the necessary enzyme. It can also develop as a complication of the coeliac disease. Some got permeant lactose intolerance which can be genetic in origin and is commonly found on people of Africa and Asia.
- Diarrhoea and or vomiting after eating or drinking food containing lactose.
- Cramps and abdominal pain.
- Blotting and painful gas.
- See the Doctor, He or she will examine the baby properly and will give you the right advice.
- If lactose intolerance is not diagnosed on correct time, baby’s growth and development will not take place properly.
- The most common foods that are high in lactose include dairy products such as milk, ice cream, and cheese. Lactose is also added to some foods, such as bread and baked goods, cereals, salad dressings, candies, and snacks. Avoid these food products in lactose intolerance.
Milk spots or Milia: These are frequently found in newborn infants. These look like pearly white spots on cheeks, nose and chin. These are not itchy and not harmful to the baby.
Cause: Milk spots are caused when the sebaceous gland (in the skin that secretes an oily or waxy matter, called sebum, to lubricate and waterproof the skin and hair of humans.) in the newborn baby’s skin is blocked. But this blockage is due to the immature development of gland.
General care: Not needed. It will disappear after few weeks. But if it does not disappear then consult to the Doctor.
Croup is inflammation and narrowing of the main airway to the lungs. It mainly affects babies and children between 6 months to 3 years of age. Usually, it caused by a virus, but occasionally it is an allergy.
Symptoms: Mostly it occurs in the early morning and lasts for few hours.
1. Usually, starts with common cold signs like a runny nose, and sneezing.
2. Noisy, rasping breathing and difficulty to take breathing.
3. Persistent coughing.
4. Restless and lots of salivating.
6. The blueness of the lips or face.
• Create a warm and humid atmosphere for that, take a child into the bathroom and run the hot taps to create steam or spray the hot shower against the sides of the bath, making sure that babily is safe from hot water. Another option is to boil water in kettle continuously. When the attack has subsided, put the child back in bed and try to create a moist atmosphere in the bedroom.
• If the symptoms persistent and the child show signs of cyanosis or difficulty in breathing call the Doctor.
• Give paracetamol and lots of warm drinks.
• Cuddle and reassure the child, who is usually very frightened.
• Children with asthma are prone to the attack of croup and may require special asthma preventer drugs at the first signs of a croup attack.
Gastroenteritis: Gastroenteritis is the inflammation of the stomach and intestine, causing diarrhoea and/or vomiting.
- The usual cause is a virus which may be transmitted through the air.
- Or may be by contact with infected faeces. Bacteria in food or drinks can also cause gastro entities.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Reduced to feed
- Abdominal pain ( baby may draw the knees up)
- Unwell and lethargic
- Vomiting and/or diarrhoea can lead to dehydration problem also.
- If the baby if under 3 months old, called the doctor immediately or ask the GP as soon as possible.
- Prevent dehydration of the baby by giving liquid or drink like water or make a sugar solution. For this, you need 2 teaspoon sugar in 200ml boiled water, cool it. Then give it 1 to 2 teaspoons in short intervals. If the baby is taking only breastfeed then give this sugar drink after breastfeed.
- If still there is no improvement in 24 hours call to Doctor or GP.
When all the symptoms subside and the problem is diagnosed. Then slowly start a regular diet for the baby with maintained a good hygiene environment. Long term dehydration to the baby is fatal so try to rehydrate the baby after vomiting and/ or diarrhoea.
Thrush is the infection that commonly develops in the mouth of babies and young children. It sometimes appears surrounding the anus, buttocks and thighs.
It is caused by a yeast-like fungus called Candida albicans. It lives naturally on the skin and in the vagina, mouth and bowel. The natural balance can be disturbed when illness or a course of antibiotics which is already taken. Due to this immune system is failed to fight with Candida bacteria. This leads to increase in a number of Candida bacteria more than normal, and then it causes inflammation in the skin.
- Spots inside the baby’s cheeks that look like the remains of milk which, when wiped gently with a tissue, revealed a sore path beneath.
- A bright red nappy rash that isn’t helped by normal creams.
- The baby may refuse the feeds.
- Consult with the Doctor or GP, who will prescribe antifungal medicine for baby. Also, give the medicine to mummy if she breastfeeds her child.
- If the baby finds it painful to feed on the bottle or finds it hard so suck from the breast, try feeding by spoon.
- Wash your hand after the nappy change and before a feed.
- If none of the antifungal treatment works, consult with the Doctor or GP again, because secondary bacterial infection may have set in on top of the thrush.
- An alternative treatment for oral thrush is the homoeopathic medicine. The concern with the Homoeopathic expert.
You can try these recipes during baby’s health problems.